Objective of the Project:
The Face-It Movement is a response to the public outcry against the increasing number of child abuse deaths in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Face-It directly addresses the unacceptable incidences of child abuse and neglect in Kentucky with the promotion of best practices in child abuse prevention and intervention, engaging the community, and advocating for effective policies to improve the child welfare system.
In April 2023, McNary Group hosted the Organizational Child/Youth Protection Policy Virtual Workshop for Face-It members to connect and take a close examination into youth protection policies, procedures, and best practices that were either in place, outdated, or absent within their agency.
Following the workshop, McNary Group individually engaged with four separate organizations to assess and discuss ways to improve, enhance, or add a greater degree of youth protection policies into their operations and policies. The network consisted of: Backside Learning Center, Junior Achievement of Kentuckiana, Meredith-Dunn School, and Play Cousins Collective.
The Scope of Work Included:
- Assessment of partners and member organizations by utilizing surveys and other data collection methods to assess the strengths and gaps of current practices, policies, and procedures of the full network. The assessment resulted in recommendations for the network as a whole and feasible action plans for goal setting and guidance for achieving outcomes.
- Education and Training to ensure safe and nurturing environments for all youth in the Commonwealth community. The developed training and education modules included:
- Comprehensive education regarding abuse and exploitation
- Current reporting and response laws and recommended best practices for handling disclosures and concerns
- The necessity for clear and intentional internal policies and effective dissemination of those policies
- Examination of the impact of trauma on victims, responders, and organizations to build a culture of youth protection and change system responses and behaviors
- How to create safe and nurturing environments with limited resources
- Proactively investing in risk management and accountability
- Individual organizational engagement within the Face-It network to offer deeper engagement in enhancing youth protection policies.
- Ongoing support, monitoring, and evaluation to sustain accountability and continuous quality improvement within organizations.